One of life’s most important moments is approaching and who will bring the food? Whether you’re planning a bridal shower, bachelorette party, a wedding, retirement dinner, fiftieth anniversary, the list of life events goes on and on and what do they have in common? Who will take care of the food? Eating is a major part of any and all these events. Whether you are planning for a dozen or 300, the right caterer is key!
If you event is taking place at a rented event location it’s quite possible they have their designated caterer already in place. If you want a specific caterer, you may have to find the venue that will work with you.
Planning an event and all that it entails can be overwhelming but here’s 5 quick tips to help you in your search for the right caterer
- When you contact the caterer do they delay in answering your phone call, text or email? Even if a caterer is booked and can’t handle your event, you should always receive communication telling you so.. Beyond that, many caterers will have a suggestion or two for you.
- Schedule a tasting, in fact, schedule up to three tastings with a range of local Fresno caterers. Be sure that at the tasting you will be sampling specific food items that you wish to serve at your event. In addition to how the food tastes, pay attention to the presentation. You want your food to look good as well as tastes good. Ask about variations of the menu or if you want a specific recipe included. Some caterers may also offer a wine paring at your tasting. Ask what if any are the charges for the tasting.
- Find the right fit. Most caterers can provide a variety of food services however they most often have their specific niche. They may be more boutique style of catering, corporate catering, Black tie events, Barbecues. They may have the best food but it just may not be the best fit for you and your event. Schedule meetings with at least three caterers to see who is the best fit.
- Know what is in your contract. Go over the fine details of the contract with your caterer so you know exactly what is standard and what are upgrades. Take time and talk through your event. Is it a buffet, is there a wait staff, beverages, bar options, etc. Don’t assume anything. It’s great to ask questions and know exactly what you are receiving for the amount you are paying. Also, what is their cancellation policy.
- Ask for references or look for ratings through social media. If you can reach out to past clients and have a conversation. Check with family and friends for recommendations to find the Fresno caterer that is right for you.
With these tips in mind it is of course foremost to know your budget. How much do you plan to spend. How flexible is your budget? Have you factored in everything? As one local Fresno caterer suggests, If your budget is extremely tight it may be time to narrow down the dinner plans and make it a dessert only event. This can be done simply and elegantly. Call in all your favors from friends to set up Pinterest worthy dessert tables and perhaps just pay for the desserts to be professionally made. You can pick up the items to save money or have a drop off from the caterer. Hire a couple of servers or ask friends to handle the tables, put them in matching aprons and you’ll have a lovely event. Just make sure that the time of your event isn’t at a meal time so guests know that this is a dessert event, not lunch or dinner. This can be cleverly noted on the invitations. Such as, dessert will be served, dessert buffet available, save room for dessert. Use a local Fresno bakery or local Fresno chef who specializes in desserts. This is also a great way for new baker start up businesses to get their name out. Catering is not just chicken and tri-tip. So many ways to cater a special event without serving a complete dinner if your budget doesn’t allow.
A local Fresno food truck to serve your guests is a fun way to have a party and quite a growing trend. There’s lots of ways to do a party or event. Be creative and do it your own way, Locally we have the best Fresno caterers available and with a wide variety of food and price ranges.